Monday, April 24, 2017

Tao Te Ching – Chapter 22


Surrender becomes perfection

If the first line of this chapter is the only one you read, it is enough. If it’s the only line you read in the entire Tao Te Ching, it is enough.

Three words...so simple. But within them is the path to awakening, the key to liberation, the secret of the vast power of the universe that manifests through all of us when we release our resistance. As Adyashanti says, “Surrender is the name of the spiritual game.”

What does it mean to surrender? In one sense, it means to not meet force with force. In Star Trek Next Generation, there was a weapon that vaporized all who sought to defeat the person holding it. Captain Picard figured out that the weapon was powered by the aggressive thoughts of the attackers. As the attackers became more aggressive, the power of the weapon increased proportionately. When faced with the person holding the weapon, he instructed his people to erase all thoughts of anger and aggression from their minds. When they did so, the weapon was useless, and the holder easily defeated.

It also means to cease struggling. Buddhism teaches us that our suffering comes from our struggle against reality, from wanting things to be other than what they are. Think of all the bad guys in the Tarzan movies (yes, I’m that old!) who flailed in the quicksand, hastening their demise. Yes, reality is sometimes painful, but our struggle against reality increases our suffering (described as the “suffering of suffering”), and depletes the energy we need to respond effectively and appropriately to whatever is happening.

This does not mean being a doormat and not responding to our world with courage and integrity. On the contrary, when we follow this principle, we find that we are stronger and better able to “do the right thing.”

Jesus understood this, as reflected in the Sermon on the Mount. The kingdom of Heaven belongs to the poor in spirit and the meek inherit the earth. These are not teachings of weakness and defeat; they are teachings of triumph and power. Not our personal, individual ego power, but the infinite power of the divine.

The chapter continues in this pattern of one quality “becoming” another, and describes the sage as embodying this principle of not using force, thus avoiding conflict. If there is no conflict, there is no failure.

Remember the story of the warrior brandishing his sword and threatening a monk seated serenely before him. “Why aren’t you afraid?” he roars. “Don’t you know I can run you through without blinking an eye?” “Don’t you know,” the monk quietly replies, “that I can be run through without blinking an eye?” Recognizing true power, the warrior dropped his sword and became the monk’s disciple.

At the end, the chapter circles back to the first line.

Surrender becomes perfection
Are these empty words? 
Truly, perfection restores our true nature 

When we are not pitting force against force, we allow the energy of creation to move through us. Like a river, it washes around and over everything in its path to return to its source. Indeed, these are not empty words, but a map leading us to our heart’s treasure. Home.

Related post: An earlier post focused on a slightly different translation of the first line. Click here to read Yield and Overcome.

14 comments:

  1. Ties in perfectly to my Sunday Message from yesterday. If you are of a mind, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some might think living a surrendered life is the easy way out, but I disagree. It doesn't come naturally to me, that's for sure! Sometimes it seems like a tug-of-war with me wanting my own way, then realizing God's way is the only way to the truth and real joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Pam. It takes courage and a LOT of practice, at least for me!

      Delete
  3. "Surrender becomes perfection
    Are these empty words?
    Truly, perfection restores our true nature."
    I've been practicing the prayer of surrendering myself to God's will each morning. I still need work, but it is working!
    Galen, would you please be in prayer for Danny? He had a successful surgery in Asheville, but now there is an infection. He is scheduled for another operation here in Atlanta on Friday - time of day not yet determined. We will never give up hope, and never stop trusting in the Lord, but the prayers of righteous persons are extremely powerful. I know this from former experiences. Thank you, dear one, in advance for your prayers regarding this unexpected turn of events!
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very sorry to hear about Danny's complication. That is not how I was imagining your blog saga to end! Not sure how righteous I am, but I'm honored to offer my best effort. I hope things go well on Friday and that the happy ending to your story is reinstated.

      Delete
  4. I seem to keep losing the tug of war with myself Galen :) How much do we push and pull? What's the right amount of surrender?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are interesting questions, Vishnu! The short and easy answer, I think, is that we don't push or pull at all. The right amount of surrender is total. Pushing and pulling both require the use of force, so neither one allows surrender.

      But what does this really look like? We have this concept of surrender as weakness or defeat, and it can certainly mean that in specific contexts. But here, we are talking about a surrender that unblocks the infinite power of the universe, allowing us to act in complete harmony, never trying to force.

      The example that just popped into my mind is one we see in the news from time to time about someone who sees an emergency and immediately responds to help, sometimes at great danger to themselves. Like a person who pulls someone from a burning car, or jumps into a river to save someone. Often, when asked later what was going through their minds, they respond that they didn't think; they just reacted. To me, that is surrender to the reality of the moment and allowing, rather than forcing, in Buddhist terms, "right action."

      An interesting and perhaps essential context for exploring this concept would be in our current political climate. I don't want to start a political discussion here, so I won't be specific, but we can consider how total surrender can lead to "right action" when faced with so much division and anger.

      I'm not sure I really addressed your questions. If I missed the focus of your inquiry, please let me know and let's continue the discussion. I think you have focused on exactly what we need to look at when practicing surrender.

      Delete
  5. This question is not directly linked to the above discussion, but it may be foundational to it — and a suggestion for a future post. I have asked this question to countless persons, but received little insight or clarity. Much appears as wishful thinking or is suffocatingly dogmatic, with little to do with one's present state of being.
    Why do so many people, Westerners in particular, find themselves in a frequent state of self-loathing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is a very interesting question, and one that many have tried to answer, much better than I can, I'm sure. I doubt that I can offer any more clarity or insight than others, but here is my quick take on it.

      I think that we live in a self-created illusion of separation. This illusion leaves us in a state of chronic fear, which can manifest in many ways, including self-loathing. As the Dalai Lama learned, and as you point out, this seems particularly characteristic of Western culture. Western culture has a broad foundation in Christianity, which has permeated our collective psyche with the condemnation of both original sin and sin in general. I'm making no judgment on that--just an observation.

      On top of that, as Buddha taught, we become attached to our beliefs and desires and aversions, which results in the suffering of humanity.

      All wisdom teachings seem to have in common the path towards freeing ourselves of our illusions and restoring us to our true nature, which is one of joy and unity. Self-loathing is eliminated when we are living in harmony with our true selves.

      This opens the door for all sorts of views on theology and culture and psychology, more than we can handle here. But that is my offering in answer to your question.

      Delete
  6. I actually read this one a while back and started to comment and then it disappeared through my ineptness. As I always, I really liked this one on more than one level. You help me to think deeper. First of all the title is a good one. Surrender becomes Perfection. I have recognized that we all have our agency to choose. If we can learn to align our will with what God's ultimate will for us is; we will be nearer to perfection. Of course, we have to seek for His will in our lives. Indeed, suffering does come from our struggle against reality. I have pondered up on this thought and find it true. Thanks for sharing these thoughts; they are true in a very religious sense. I loved the thought on of a map leading to our heart's treasure; home!
    I loved your poem above. It too has layers of thoughts to think about. Blessings to you dear friend for stretching my mind with teachings that I do relate too. Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LeAnn. I always enjoy your own reflections on my posts. You always add another layer of meaning, and give me things to ponder, too!

      Delete
  7. Dear Galen,

    It would be so wonderful to surrender and "When we are not pitting force against force, we allow the energy of creation to move through us." I think you've touched the essence when you speak about how the first line is all we truly need, ever! I have challenges in my life right now, so I will take this advice to heart. Thank you for explicating the Tao Te Ching so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. Surrender has such negative connotations in our win/lose adversarial culture. It takes some mind twisting to see that surrender actually brings forth our greatest strength.

      This morning in tai chi, the teacher was "testing" us by giving some resistance to our attempts to surrender and let energy move through us. When I would tense up to use my muscles, I couldn't move him, but when I let go and let the energy move up from the earth through me, I moved him without even feeling it. It was like he wasn't even there. Like magic! I see over and over that this concept really works.

      I hope it brings some support to your current challenges.

      Delete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.