Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Year of the Heart


Y’all know the story of The Little Mermaid. She longs to leave her underwater world and enter the world above. She wants to walk on land. She wants to dance. She wants to love.

She wants it so much that she is willing to leave everything behind. Even though every step will feel like she is walking on razor sharp knives, she is willing to endure the pain. She is willing to risk anything to realize her heart’s deepest yearning. To answer love’s call. To melt into the arms of the Beloved.

Love calls us out of the formless void into form. Love takes form to delight in its reflection. One becomes two to touch. To dance. To embrace.

There is a price, yes. A heart open to love is vulnerable, tender and raw. The exquisite rapture of love brings equally exquisite pain. We risk loss. A child dies. A lover leaves. A friend betrays. We can protect our hearts behind a wall of fear. But, as the Bible teaches, perfect love casts out fear. Love holds out its hand to lead us through the darkness, to comfort us in pain, to awaken us in joy.

I enter this year fearlessly, with a heart willing to open ever more widely, to embrace ever more inclusively, to hold ever more deeply, to dance ever more joyfully.

Dance, then, wherever you may be
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he
And I’ll lead you all, wherever you may be
I’ll lead you all in the Dance, said he

   ~Sydney Carter

17 comments:

  1. Dance, then, wherever you may be
    I am the Lord of the Dance, said he
    And I’ll lead you all, wherever you may be
    I’ll lead you all in the Dance, said he

    Love the thought of being with the Lord of the dance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Betty. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. "I enter this year fearlessly..." a truly aspirational line. I'm reminded of Garth Brook's song "The Dance...I could have missed the pain but I would have missed the dance." I think the antidote to fear is trust, trust that no matter what, I will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to listen to that one, Mona! Yes, trust that no matter what, everything, including me (!), will be okay. That it IS okay. Happy new year to you.

      Delete
  3. Yes, Galen, perfect love does cast out fear. May that Love guide our steps all through 2018! (And Lord of the Dance is one of my favorite songs!)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha, and new year blessings to you too.

      Delete
  4. Lovely message for the new year, thanking you, Galen

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really beautiful, Galen. Many thanks and a very happy new year. May you give and receive much love this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dixie! You have been on my mind. I almost emailed you today, and here you are! I'm going to email you anyway. Thanks for commenting. And thanks for the love wishes. Same to you!

      Delete
  6. Oh my dear friend, this was just such a lovely post. Thanks for sharing these very loving thoughts. My thoughts for the New Year is that I want to live each day in Joy.. I know that joy is found in love. I loved your last paragraph and poem.
    Wishing for you a really wonderful New Year with many adventures and lots of love and joy! Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LeAnn. Living in joy--you are going to have a great year with such an intention. Thank you for the new year wishes for me--many adventures with lots of love and joy--I hope your wish for me comes true. For both of us!

      Delete
  7. Oh man! This has so much meaning to me. It made me cry my eyes out! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it touched you, Melanie, but sorry it made you cry! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  8. So beautiful, Galen. I wish you the very best with your aspiration and with everything this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful, Galen. I wish you the very best with your aspiration and with everything this year.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.