Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Tao Te Ching – Chapter 40


This lovely little four line verse has been described as the “Tao Te Ching’s theology in a nutshell.”

Returning is Tao’s motion
By means of supple tenderness
All under heaven is born of being
Being is born of non-being

I have always interpreted the first line as referring to the return of the manifested universe back to its source in formless Tao. It recently came to my attention that this line could also mean the other side of the cycle. That is, it could refer to the return of formless Tao into form once again in the ten thousand things of the manifested universe.

Interesting to see it both ways. Form and formlessness, being and non-being, the named and the nameless, in an eternal dance of tender exchange. So beautiful. As near to us as our breath.

The Tantric sages tell us that our in-breath and out-breath actually mirror the divine creative gesture. ~Sally Kempton

6 comments:

  1. I love your reminder that the breath is a mirror of the divine creative gesture of the movement of all life. I've been struggling with the onslaught of the news cycle these days, and thinking of the cycle of life helps calm my spirit. I hope you are well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, DJan. I'm trying to cut back on my news intake. Yes, I am well. Hope you are too. Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. "As near to us as our breath." With my word for the year being "Breathe," this truly made sense to me, Galen. Inhale/exhale, form/formlessness, being/non-being.
    Beautiful thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha. I forgot that "breathe" is your word this year. You'll get lots of practice!

      Delete
  3. Another time of deeper reflection for me today. I really liked the sentence; form and formlessness, being and non-being, the named and the nameless, in an eternal dance of tender exchange. As near to us as our breath. Very poetic to me.
    Loving thoughts and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.