Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Year of Earth


Last year was, for me, a year of fire. Fire burning, illuminating, destroying, purifying. This year, as I try to get a sense of its beginning, seems to be starting off as a year of earth.

Wildfires have raged in the western United States the last two years. Ash is left in their smoldering wake. Over time ash becomes soil, rich soil from which new life begins to grow. In the Chinese five element generative cycle, fire creates earth. Earth is the element of balance.

After the intensity of the last year, I wouldn’t mind a little balance, a little grounding, a little gentleness. Perhaps my call to earth is wishful thinking. Yet I feel it strongly.

We will see.

8 comments:

  1. With you, Galen, I certainly would not mind a little balance and grounding as this year unfolds. And if you feel so strongly about your call to earth, I doubt it can be dismissed as only wishful thinking.
    Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha, for the encouragement. I'm curious to see how this call unfolds.

      Delete
  2. I agree that the last two years have been intense. I also wouldn't mind a little balance, and I'm looking forward to finding my optimism, which seems to have been missing from my life. The thought of new life coming from the ashes of fire is hopeful, even if it takes a long time from ashes to green shoots. Sending you my very best wishes for the new year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But those brave little green shoots do appear eventually! I'm content right now for the ashes to lie quietly, gathering nutrients, preparing for new beginnings. Happy new year to you, too!

      Delete
  3. Me too. I went pretty hard ascetic last year and am currently recalibrating. Sending balanced wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of gathering nutrients for the coming year and staying grounded. Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.