Sunday, February 16, 2020

Weaponized Enlightenment


I’ve always loved this story:

As Buddha was walking down the road, someone approached from the other direction. This person was awed by the radiance shining from Buddha. 

Excuse me, but are you a god?

No.

Are you a king?

No. 

Are you a wizard?

No.

Well, then what are you?

I am awake.

That story has always inspired me. When I think about what I want most in the world, what I value and practice and aspire to, it is this state of being awake – fully present and aware, deeply experiencing and directly engaged with life in this moment.

I thought of this story recently when someone used the term “woke” in its current popular usage related to politics and social issues.

I was curious to hear this term used in a way. It seemed to me that it was being used to distinguish groups of people who take specific positions on political or social issues. The line is drawn between those who are woke and those who are not, with woke being the more desirable or the more derided, depending on who is using it.

Let me be clear that I am not commenting on the politics or cultural origins of this term. What I am commenting on is its use as a judgment or assessment of division, a means of attack, similar to the way we have weaponized other terms, like American or immigrant. And of course, the old standbys of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and more.

Awakening does not divide; it unifies. It does not judge; it accepts. It does not demand; it radiates. It does not fear; it embraces. May we all, like Buddha, be woke.

But all the time our warmth and brilliance are right here. This is who we really are. We are one blink of an eye away from being fully awake. ~Pema Chodron

Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world. ~Ramana Maharshi

15 comments:

  1. I love the story you have shared here, Galen! We should shine our light because we are awake to the Light, present in the moment.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. Hope things are all right or getting better in your family.

      Delete
  2. I did enjoy reading your thoughts on the state of being fully awake, present and aware, deeply experiencing and directly engaged with life in this moment. I will want to work on this a little more since you are reminding me. Blessings and hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you want to work on this LeAnn. It changes the way we perceive and interact with our circumstances and relationships. For me, it has become a practice, like praying, like breathing.

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately, these days EVERYTHING is a way of dividing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, CW. It's so sad. So we can each, in our own way, heal the divide, one opportunity at a time.

      Delete
  4. I am trying to heal the division within myself. I look at the candidates for the Democratic nomination, and I am unsure who represents my own best interests. Who among these people is awake? Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cover a lot of ground in a brief comment, DJan. Healing inner division is a service to everyone, as the quote above says. Politics is, by its nature, divisive, at least in our system. Or rather I should say that elections are divisive. As long as we see things as self and other, there is division. So, again referring to the quote, perhaps the best thing we can do is start with healing our inner division, as you say.

      Delete
  5. Such a huge dichotomy between the use of awakening to oneself in spiritual terms and the term being used to divide and segregate people from one another, rendering them being in the 'club' or on the outside. I've not heard the term being used in politics or regarding social issues over here but it really doesn't work very well at all. Very misleading! But these word trends come and go, while the real essence of the words can remain, thank goodness, in their most appropriate spheres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these word trends often disappear as fast as they appear. In this particular case, it is fascinating, and sad, that the word is being used in a way that, at least to me, is so contrary to its deeper meaning. We'll see how long it lasts.

      Your observation about its use in the US got me to thinking. Can you share a recent word trend in Scotland?

      Thanks for commenting, Lynne.

      Delete
    2. Well it's funny, I was talking to a friend today who's really into politics and I came across 'woke' when I began watching a Youtube video she recommended. Lo and behold 'woke culture' was referred to representing being awake to social injustice etc, so it is over here!

      A scottish borders social mentality that I can think of is - 'it's aye bin' , meaning it's always been this way, so don't mess with it. It's trotted by traditionalists who don't like change with a stubborn determination not to risk rattling the status quo. It kind of has a depressing ring to it! Apart from that, I think the UK and US must be pretty much on par, Galen!

      Delete
    3. "Woke" has crossed the pond. How lovely it would be if a culture was really "awake" in its deeper (not political or social) sense.

      Great example. The "it's always been this way" or "we've always done it this way" justification is universal, don't you think?

      Delete
    4. Yes to both points. it's just it's aye been is particularly referred to here. Cheers, Galen!

      Delete
  6. It took me awhile to understand this most warped modern use of the word "woke" because I did not sense any truth in the recent political correctness and its virtue signaling movement. It seems fake to me.

    I like your statement here;

    "Awakening does not divide; it unifies. It does not judge; it accepts. It does not demand; it radiates. It does not fear; it embraces. May we all, like Buddha, be woke.

    'When I think about what I want most in the world, what I value and practice and aspire to, it is this state of being awake – fully present and aware, deeply experiencing and directly engaged with life in this moment."

    I like your statement here. This is the true awakening. When I retired, I was looking for a new focus and I determined to know more and more what truth is. Awakening in this true sense of the word has become my greatest desire, as well, union with the universal presence, the Self is the highest human quest.

    Good post Galen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian. I like your statement as well. Beautifully said.

      Delete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.