Monday, May 17, 2021

Living in a Goal Free Zone



Western culture, at least in the United States, is very goal oriented. We make new year resolutions. We have five year business and personal plans. My sons, who both have autism, have a meeting every year to set goals for the year with measurable checkpoints during the year. In fact, for many of us, our lives are structured that way, with large and small identified goals and measurable steps. We set goals, work towards our goals, achieve our goals, and bask in the success of having met our goals. At least for a moment until we set new goals and start the process again. 

Goals are associated with progress, accomplishment, hard work, even good character. They are encouraged, and those who set them and achieve them are admired. I doubt that Olympic athletes, for example, would ever get a medal without some single minded focus and dedication. 

There is nothing wrong with that. Goals serve a purpose. But when we have blinders on that allow us to see only the goal oriented path ahead, I wonder what opportunities we miss. Some of the best things that have happened in my life were not on my goal trajectory. In fact, more often than not, they completely derailed my goal progress. 

For example, when I moved to Portland, I had a very specific job goal in mind. I began to search out the leads that would take me in that direction. When someone mentioned a temporary job opportunity that was not goal related, I almost dismissed it. Then I decided I would take that job to provide some income while I looked for the job I really wanted. The first day of the temporary job, I went home amazed that someone was paying me to have so much fun. When the time was up, I figuratively chained myself to the gate until they decided to keep me. Twenty years later, I retired from a job that continued to be fun and deeply rewarding. 

On the personal front, I was living a full and busy life as a single parent with two kids. I had all I could handle, or so I thought. My goals targeted balancing home and work while meeting the needs of my autistic son and making sure that my daughter had her needs met as well. My goals definitely did not include more kids. And yet, suddenly there was my son’s classmate, also autistic, who, for reasons beyond the scope of this post, was in crisis and needed a family to care for him. So, for reasons beyond the scope of any rational explanation, I took him. And his presence has now blessed our family for more than twenty years in ways I never could have planned or anticipated. 

Those are “big” life examples, but similar things happen to us all the time in big and small ways. At some point I realized that when I was not focused on goals, things that needed to get done still did, in a more natural, organic way rather than forced. I began to trust that life would lead me, and that when I was aligned in harmony with an open, receptive attitude, my path forward would become clear. And if it didn’t, then I knew to wait until it did. 

When people ask me these days what my goals are, I have a hard time coming up with any. It seems to me that they get in the way more than provide helpful direction. Sure, I make plans. I go to the store with a list in hand, and my calendar has appointments to attend. I am respectful of people’s time and do my best to honor the promises I make. The difference, perhaps, is that my life is not driven by personally selected goals as much as carried by the current of divine energy that flows through all creation. (That actually is a lot more practical than it sounds!) The first sometimes has a quality of anxiety on some level that seeks to control. The second often has a quality of trust that rests in faith. Life is more enjoyable, relaxed, responsive. And when challenges come, as they surely will, they can be met with resilience rather than struggle. 

It’s a relief to know that I don’t have to plan and control every step forward in my life. That was exhausting!

Perhaps you might examine the role that goals play in your life. What is the nature of your goals? What is your emotional relationship to them? You might not abandon all your goals, but maybe you might discover one or two that you could hold more flexibly. What would that be like? Maybe try it and see what happens. 

Acquiring wisdom is great but it is not the goal, applying it is. ~Idowu Koyenikan

12 comments:

  1. Pro 16:9 The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing life can be when we allow ourselves to be "carried by the current of divine energy that flows through all creation." You've given us much to consider in this post, Galen. I appreciate the questions at the end, too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. I find that sometimes an inquiry into the nature of something, like the nature of goals or my relationship to them, helps me be more open to insight.

      Delete
  3. "... trust that rests in faith . . ."
    That's where I am, Galen. I would so appreciate your prayers for Danny as he is having a procedure done this Thursday to correct his heart's electrical rhythms. Further explanation will be on my blog tomorrow. In the meantime, I hope I'm open and flexible to the plans God has for me.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope everything goes well for Danny. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Martha.

      Delete
  4. My goals in retirement seem to be smaller and are best described as "to do" items. I don't have a long term goal lined out. When working I had work goals and a retirement goal. Earlier in my career I always had goals concerning promotion. Once I retired it seems I retired the major goal setting also. Now I look at it more as a wish list and to do list. I have a list of places to see and things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your connection between retiring and letting go of major goal setting. We all have wishes and things we would like to do, but when they are not absolute goals, we can also find other delights along the way. Thanks for commenting, RCS.

      Delete
  5. It is interesting but the longer I am retired the less I have the type of goals I had when I was younger, I guess I am in the same place as Retirement Coffee Shop. I have daily tasks to accomplish, a goal to make it to England and Portland next year. But, even those biggies are flexible in terms of timing and activities. They will either happen or not and I will be fine.

    If nothing else, Covid taught me to remain quite flexible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, flexibility is the key, isn't it? Like Bruce Lee said, "Be water, my friend." Thanks for commenting, Bob. PS -- I heartily support that goal of your visit to Portland!

      Delete
  6. I thought this was a very interesting post. My goals are more centered in my eternal quest to draw nearer to my Savior. The other items are more the every day needs, and then planning of family moments.
    I used to be much more goal oriented, but now my lists are simpler, and I try to be flexible to be available where needed.
    It certainly makes life less stressful.
    I continue to rely on my favorite scripture in Proverbs 3:5-6. Trust in the Lord...…He shall direct thy path. Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LeAnn. That is a perfect verse to rely on. I think that living this way does require a lot of trust. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.