Monday, October 10, 2016

Tao Te Ching – Chapter 7


This chapter is so simple, yet profound. In it, we see the connection between the nature of the universe and our own existence.

Heaven is eternal; earth is enduring

This first line complements the first line of Chapter 6: valley spirit never dies. And it continues the images we are accumulating of the mysterious essence of Tao – empty, inexhaustible, receptive, fertile, impartial, transcendent.

This chapter, however, offers more explanation.

The reason heaven and earth are eternal and enduring
Is because they don’t exist or live for themselves

This last line can also be translated as they don’t create themselves, or are unborn – an interesting concept. With all these interpretations, there is a sense of serene infinity and harmonious existence.

The next part shifts from the universe to the individual.

Thus the sage stays behind yet is ahead
Is unattached to self yet is ever present
Without self bias or focus
Self realization can be attained

Although the origins of the Tao Te Ching are centuries before Jesus, there are unmistakable similarities in the teaching. Jesus said the last will be first, and the first will be last. He also said that those who seek to save their life will lose it, yet those who lose their life for him will find it.

This is not a teaching of self sacrifice and denial as much as it is a teaching of liberation and transcendence. Of awakening. Of coming home. The price of the ticket, from the ego’s perspective, is everything, which is what makes it seem so scary. But when we arrive, we realize that what we thought was everything was nothing at all. The ticket is free because all we give up is illusion.

Regardless of your faith beliefs and orientation, there is a universality to these teachings reflected in wisdom traditions from all corners of the globe. It’s beautiful.

Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God. ~A Course in Miracles

10 comments:

  1. I guess at the base of the Tao is the question: how much of yourself are you willing to let go to achieve harmony? What price earth, to be enduring? Kind of in a morose place here, what with politics and all, and sometimes it feels like "Happiness is to enjoy being walked on." The sage would probably ask me, "What constitutes being walked on? What harm do the actions of distant others do you if you have peace?" Good answer. Guess I'm just not very peaceful tonight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your image of being walked on made me think of my favorite martial arts story. A student was worried about being hurt while sparring. The teacher stood in front of her and asked, If I'm standing here and you're standing there, can I hurt you? Yes, she answered. Then, he said, don't be there.

      But yes, hard to embrace that in this current political climate. Like Ken Kesey said, let's grow asparagus!

      Thanks for commenting, CW.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I see this as a teaching of liberation and awakening---love when you point out the commonalities of wisdom teachings across the world. Brings me peace.

    My favorite translation (understand, I am only speaking of the very few I have available to me) of the last of this chapter is

    "So wise souls
    leaving self behind
    move forward,
    and setting self aside
    stay centered.
    Why let the self go?
    To keep what the soul needs."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Polly, about the peace of seeing no conflict but rather many facets of the same truth. I have been fortunate to spend time reading many wisdom texts, and over and over I am struck by the uniformity of the essential teachings.

      Ah, Ursula LeGuin's poetic interpretation--right? This sounds like her. Sometimes, I think those who are interpreting loosely rather than strictly translating come closer to the true meaning of the text. Which again, is its own teaching--not to get so bogged down by the concrete characters or words, but rather to let the deep meaning find its own voice.

      So lovely. Thanks, Polly, for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Galen, this is awesome! I love how you showed how Jesus' teaching reflects the wisdom of earlier sages in that to truly live, we must die to self. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha. It is amazing, isn't it, how this basic teaching is common to so many historical and faith cultures?! And in many cases, they use almost the same words, even though we are talking about people who lived in different eras and far distant from each other. It is indeed beautiful.

      Delete
  4. Hello, Galen! It's Wednesday morning, my usual journaling time (although I got up a bit late). I decided to let go of self-imposed "shoulds" and absorb your words and interpretation of the Tao instead. Flexibility is good for more than the body, right?

    This paragraph means the most to me:

    "This is not a teaching of self sacrifice and denial as much as it is a teaching of liberation and transcendence. Of awakening. Of coming home. The price of the ticket, from the ego’s perspective, is everything, which is what makes it seem so scary. But when we arrive, we realize that what we thought was everything was nothing at all. The ticket is free because all we give up is illusion."

    With each passing day I draw closer to my baptism--at 55, I'm quite excited about its literal and metaphorical meanings! You've given me words to wrap around what I'm feeling--coming home, liberation, awakening. Sometimes I catch myself watching myself, if that makes sense, from a higher vantage point. I think of it as watching my ego play amongst the things it thinks are important as the real me smiles at the ego's folly.

    Thank you for your wisdom and your teaching!

    Much love to you and your readers (especially Polly--hi Polly!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Beth--what a lovely comment. Yes, flexibility is a good thing on all levels. As the Tao Te Ching says in a later chapter, yield and overcome! Rigidity is compared to death and flexibility to live. So there you go!

      Loved your description of watching your ego play and smiling at its folly. What a great attitude. Sometimes we get judgmental about our ego. Oh my ego is bad. I must destroy it. This is directing violence against ourselves. No need to do that. Just step aside and watch with loving compassion.

      I'm going to email Polly to be sure she sees your howdy!

      Delete
  5. "The reason heaven and earth are eternal and enduring
    Is because they don’t exist or live for themselves."

    In my world where there is no absolute or perfect way, this statements rings true in that it can be a goal for how we can live. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could "without self bias or focus"....even for a short time each and every day.

    The Course in Miracles teaching that "nothing unreal exists." is probably the most peaceful and lovely of all thoughts. I remember the day I found "the past does not exist". It brought such peace to my life. Guilt and anxiety was lifted and I moved forward for the first time in years and still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Course in Miracles agrees with you about the past, Barbara. "The only wholly true thought you can hold about the past is that it is not here." Truly liberating, but hard to remember sometimes. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.