Sunday, November 26, 2017

“You Know Nothing, Jon Snow”


Game of Thrones fans will recognize this line, spoken to Jon Snow repeatedly by the wildling woman he fell in love with, and who died in his arms with these words on her lips.

The universe has conspired lately to remind me that, like Jon Snow, everything I think I know ... I don’t. No matter where I turn – to family, to friends old and new, to martial arts, to life in general – I am confronted by my absolute ignorance of, well, everything. It is disorienting and decidedly uncomfortable. Sometimes scary. At the same time, it is intriguing, exciting, and occasionally even fun.

It is, spiritually speaking, where the action is. Outside of my comfort zone, on the razor’s edge. It is where I see most clearly, if I’m willing to look, my habitual patterns, my stories, my insecurities and fear. It is where I’m given the opportunity to experience the raw beauty and fierce grace of reality, to taste the nectar of truth, to be stripped of all my defenses and emerge pure and powerful. If only for a moment....

It sounds sublime, and it is, but it is also messy, like diving beneath the lotus blossom to its roots in the muck. The muck is where the flower grows. And so it is with us. When we embrace all life offers, excluding nothing, seeing the sacred in every moment, no matter what, then our true nature grows rooted in the depths of darkness to bloom brilliant in the light.

The following poem was written a couple of years ago to support a friend going through a hard time. But today, it speaks to me to give me courage to step into the mystery.

The ground beneath our feet
That we think strong
Is but an icy crust
Lightning cracks race
Pop and thunder
We dare not move
It matters not
We will fall through into our destiny
And remember once again
That what dies 
Was never real
And we are 
                    laughing
                                     free

12 comments:

  1. I don't know if I have mentioned before but I do love your poetry. Sometimes, your poems are closed to comments and I would like to say that I love them.
    You have a way of writing about our everyday reality that I enjoy reading, pondering and learning from. I loved the words to "experience raw beauty and the fierce grace of reality...taste the nectar of truth."
    I want to see the sacred in every moment; but it doesn't happen as often as I would like. I don't stop to just feel it. I do feel that we have experiences of darkness and what joy there is when we step back into the light. Lots of in depth meaning in many of your thoughts today. Blessings and hugs for this one dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LeAnn. You always have a kind word for me and I so appreciate you for that and so many other reasons!

      Like you, like all of us I suspect, I miss many opportunities to experience the sacred in every moment. But when we do stop to feel it, as you say, the universe opens before us and we find ourselves disappearing into the love of eternity.

      Blessings to you too, my friend.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful, so honest and raw! Life’s forces, rooted in love, beckon is to come “if only we dare let go”...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that letting go part.... Not always easy, is it? We let go in one moment and not in another. That human being part, as you have observed before. Practicing on the razor's edge--the dance of the divine. That's what it feels like.

      Delete
  3. "we will fall through into our destiny" So true. I turned to a friend during a period of angst and she said - Good! Stay with it and see where it takes you. That wasn't the sympathetic response I was looking for but I remind myself that I'm right where I'm supposed to be and to look for the lessons I'm here to learn. Of course, some days are easier than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an amazing friend to speak to your soul instead of to your pain. So true that we are where we are supposed to be--and also true that it is easier some days than others. Thanks for commenting, Mona.

      Delete
  4. “When we embrace all life offers, excluding nothing, seeing the sacred in every moment, no matter what, then our true nature grows rooted in the depths of darkness to bloom brilliant in the light.”

    I am standing in the Holy, in stillness — I am speechless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the additional comment, BKT! I'm so pleased you liked it.

      Delete
  5. This poem is absolutely awesome, Galen, as are your thoughts here! Yes, it seems the older we get, the less we realize we know. But it's okay, isn't it? The mystery, perhaps, is the real message.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Martha, it is okay. In fact, I think it is necessary if we are to break free from the fetters of our illusions. Great way to put it--the mystery is the real message. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. The learning goes on and on, doesn't it. The other day, when I was talking to a friend of a philosophical nature, I heard myself sounding so 'sorted' and sure of myself. But then a little alarm bell sounded inside me, kind of me warning me to be careful...never forget about the messy stuff underneath where the 'flowering' comes from, because that is more real than anything else and we mustn't take it for granted. (This is hard to express though, you are much better at it)Good food for thought, Galen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at least for me the learning goes on every day! I love your self awareness in that moment of listening to yourself sounding so sure. Thanks for commenting, Lynne.

      Delete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.