Monday, August 27, 2018

Tao Te Ching – Chapter 48



Increase is the way of learning
Decrease is the way of Tao

The opening lines of this chapter perfectly capture my current perspective. This year presented several opportunities for me to learn something that I was very drawn to – a new sword form, a new style of tai chi, advancing my study of Chinese language, playing the piano.

In each instance I was initially very motivated. I eagerly sought instruction and diligently practiced. But my energy soon flagged and I realized, with some frustration and disappointment, that my heart just wasn’t in it. I finally admitted to a friend that “I just don’t want to learn anything right now.”

A remarkable confession from a person who has always loved learning. I was the nerd who loved school, at least until my rebellious days of high school. I thrived in law school. As a professor I had the luxury of getting paid to learn and to share what excited me about my chosen subjects. As a martial artist I reveled in increased skill and knowledge.

So why couldn’t I summon the energy and excitement to pursue these opportunities? There may not be a single explanation, but on some deep level my spirit seeks to rest quietly. And while resting, to allow a shedding, a falling away.

My canary Henry is molting, as he does every late summer and early fall. He doesn’t have to do anything. He just sits there and allows his old feathers to release, covering the cage and the surrounding floor with downy softness and small quills. He quits singing during this period. He is less active. He rests and waits. Like me.

The rest of the chapter returns to a theme throughout the Tao Te Ching – that of wu wei, or non-action.

Decrease until non-action is reached
Not acting allows all to be done
Without interference everything is accomplished
With interference there is never enough 

The Tao Te Ching envisions a universe that is self regulating, with a rhythm and harmony that is inherent in existence. This is opposite from a perspective that suggests we can and should improve on nature. In our over-scheduled, never enough time, always behind world, it seems crazy to think that doing less will actually accomplish more. Perhaps we simply discover that less really needs to be accomplished in the first place. Either way, life seems more spacious, more delightful, more serene when we are not battling against it all the time.

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  ~Larry Eisenberg

8 comments:

  1. I certainly can relate to this one. I am at the stage of wanting to do exactly what you are doing. I have a touch more to complete before I can just let my spirit seek the quiet I would love for at least a while. I think it is important to have these moments. Perhaps, helping us regroup for future needful activity. I do think we need a balance and be in harmony with the universe.
    Sending loving thoughts and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, LeAnn. Not wanting to learn anything new right now doesn't mean I will never want to learn anything again. These fallow periods allow us to deepen our awareness and be prepared for new cycles of growth.

      Delete
  2. Hi Galen, I think you've hit it on the head for me when you say this: 'Perhaps we simply discover that less really needs to be accomplished in the first place', because when we cease our striving/learning we may notice that actually we are where we want to be already, or there are things in our life which we can give appreciation to more fully, due to being less distracted by our aims.

    Sometimes there is a letting go point for learning, where you've absorbed as much as you need to put that learning into practice, but maybe don't realise that and think you must go on on and on...that can be so detrimental a road which can lead to self doubt and stress.

    Like you, I'm done with learning for a while. I've done my 'biggies' and with the last course, I decided no more thanks, had enough of this now...I just want to be and do.

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Lynne. When we push on past the point when our learning capacity is full, it becomes counterproductive. When I was studying for exams in law school, I could tell when I reached that point. Whether I had learned enough or not, I had learned all I could and to study more would result in loss of what I already attained. I would then just relax with music or go to a movie the night before the exam.

      That's also a good observation about being able to appreciate more fully when we are not distracted by doing more and more.

      Delete
  3. Once again, the theme of just being, instead of doing, becomes clear. The older I get, the more I realize just how important and refreshing it is to sit back from the tasks and revel in the moment.
    Blessings, Galen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This theme of just being, or having enough, runs through these last three chapters. You have such a busy life, Martha, especially now taking care of family, that sitting back now and then is so important. It allows you to replenish your energy and be ready for whatever is needed. So many of your posts reflect this willingness and ability to "revel in the moment."

      Delete
  4. It seems like, as we learn to live in the flow of Tao we just naturally slow down. A favorite Tao verse is 'Nature is never in a hurry yet all is accomplished'. Its seems like the infinite intelligence has to reminds us often to slow down. I get this message often, Galen,. Especially when I am driving the car and not paying proper attention.

    'Less is more' is a hard concept for the busy mind to comprehend. Our intuitive mind understands all this, but, the intellect wants to do it all, and maximize experiences. The mind wants us doing more and more, but the heart, our inner core, relishes the peace,joy and love of quietude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said, Brian. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.