Monday, May 13, 2019

Tao Te Ching – Chapter 59



“Everything in moderation,” goes the adage. The Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism is described as the “middle way.” A meditation instruction teaches “not too tight, not too loose.” 

The concept of moderation is the foundation of this chapter.

Governing people in alignment with heaven
Is accomplished only through moderation

As with other chapters on governing, I find this most helpful when I think of self governance.

The character for moderation  啬  has components that mean come, from, earth, return. Returning, we are told elsewhere in the Tao Te Ching, is the motion of Tao. There is a cycle of manifestation into form, and a return to formlessness. Like an inhale and exhale. 

The center of this cycle, the liminal space between form and formless, the pause between the inhale and the exhale, represents this concept of moderation. Moderation is the point of balance between one extreme and the other. 

The Tao Te Ching is fond of using a cascading structure in some chapters. Perhaps this aided in remembering what was at one time passed down through oral tradition. 

Moderation means early attunement (or attunement from the beginning)
Early attunement means the accumulation of Te (Virtue)
The accumulation of Virtue leads to mastery
Mastery leads to limitless awareness
Limitless awareness leads to aligned governance
Aligned governance leads to the eternal
The deep roots of the eternal offer infinite perception of Tao

Admittedly, that might be a bit hard to follow. However, if we consider the overall arc of this chapter, especially in terms of self governance, we can see the connection between the middle way of moderation and our alignment with the sacred energy moving between heaven and earth. 

When we swing too far in one direction or another, we lose this alignment. We must then use our energy to maintain this imbalance, or we compensate by swinging to the other extreme. But when we follow this middle way, our steps are effortless, and we are always attuned to the guidance of nature (Tao). 

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." ~Isaiah 30:21

16 comments:

  1. Thanks, Galen! You have added even more thought provoking depth to this Verse. After reading Stephen Mitchell's translation of it a number of months ago, I wrote/designed a five movement Qigong to celebrate "moderation" and practice it in my moments. Your insights regarding the moment between our inhale and exhale and self governance REALLY speak to me, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, CD. Always good to hear from you. I'm intrigued by the idea of creating Qigong movement inspired by the chapter. I'm often struck by the correlation between what I practice in martial arts and the teachings of the Tao Te Ching. Each seems to reflect the other.

      I just received today a book recommended to me by one of my taiji teachers -- The Dao De Jing: A Qigong Interpretation, by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming. He translates each chapter and offers both a general and a qigong interpretation. I haven't had time to start reading it yet, but the connection between energy/breath work and the Tao Te Ching seems clear.

      Thanks for commenting. Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  2. Another enlightening post to read; thank you for it. I do believe in Moderation in all things. I think of it as being on a path and stay on it. I like Isaiah and especially the part: "This is the way; walk in it." We talk often of staying on the covenant path and holding on to the word of God.
    Thanks for this one; I loved reading it.
    Sending happy thoughts and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LeAnn. Isaiah is my favorite book in the Bible. There are so many passages that speak to me. Hope you had a good Mother's Day.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this fine meditation on moderation. I too find moderation in all things to be the way my heart wishes to follow. The world today is so scary, and I know that we all have much to face in the coming months and years, but if I attempt to stay mindful of the sacred world within and without me, I will make it through. Sending you much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said. It's the only way to make it through, I think. Thanks for the love, DJan. Sending some back to you.

      Delete
  4. I'm finding this verse difficult. But certainly moderation seems to be about balance, and extremes in anything to do with life seem to lead to trouble of one kind or another.If I think about not too loose, not too tight, I get the image of knitting! of all things. Where the tension has to be exactly that to result in a smooth result. I can go with this image to understand this chapter, Galen :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting parallel to knitting, Lynne. I think this concept must apply in many contexts if we think about it. Thanks for another image.

      Delete
  5. 'There is a cycle of manifestation into form, and a return to formlessness.'

    I was thinking about this very thing earlier today, and then later read your blog post. I walk to a central town park every day and sit on a bench and ponder life. This is the kind of thing I often wonder about as I look at nature all around me.

    This middle way that Buddhism speaks of is the place of balance for me. I am at the point in my life where moderation just seems to happen a little easier. I was a wild and crazy teen living barely within the rules of life. Then I found religion and became the opposite extreme, always so serious and living under the expectation of the biblical law. I now live life in the middle of both extremes, not too worldly and not too religious. This is the non-dual way the way of Tao.

    Another good post , Galen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate learning more of your story, Brian. What a perfect example of pulling to one side and then to the other, and finally coming to rest in the middle. Thank you for sharing this.

      Delete
  6. We know that the Buddha Siddhartha Gautama rejected his life of riches and lived a life of asceticism, or extreme self-discipline for several years. He later realized that moderation and the middle way was the most natural way to live. I believe he also rejected the ultra religious outward paths with ritual and rules around him 2500 years ago,and preferred the simplicity of an individualistic inner path and the practice of meditation to find ultimate truth.

    Yes! Galen I went from a carefree, living in the moment, pot head/hippie in the 70's to a overly zealous and serious religious fanatic in the 80's and 90's. My trend toward moderation in spirituality started around 10-12 years ago with the rediscovery of eastern philosophy and a slow move away from religious fundamentalism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might enjoy Richard Rohr's writings on reclaiming the heritage of mysticism from the origins of Christianity. I am currently rereading his book The Naked Now. Glad you have found your middle way, Brian.

      Delete
  7. Richard Rohr's 'Falling Upward' is my favorite of his books so far. I read it three times. He is one of the living Christian mystics writings that I enjoy reading. 'Reclaiming the heritage of mysticism from the origins of Christianity' I am not aware of..It must be a new book this year. I will check it out. The naked now ..I have not read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is the name of the book you mentioned ? 'Reclaiming the heritage of mysticism from the origins of Christianity' this is is not the title... I can't find it. The universal Christ looks good .. published this year.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.