Saturday, May 23, 2020

Tao Te Ching – Chapter 71




Understanding that we do not know is wisdom
Believing that we know the unknowable is suffering

First year law students often arrive expecting that they are going to be told all the answers to legal questions. After a few weeks of hearing professors say, “That depends on ...,” they begin to suspect that the professors know the answers but for some pedagogical or sadistic reason are keeping the answers a secret from the students. It takes a while to convince them that legal analysis does indeed rest on a number of factors and variables.

Oprah Winfrey’s magazine always ends with a column titled “What I Know for Sure.” I used to joke that I was in awe of Oprah because she knew something for sure at least twelve times a year. 

Buddha understood that attachment or desire is the root of suffering. One of the things our brains are wired to desire is unchanging certainty. So strong is this craving, that our brains will grasp onto a false answer rather than tolerate the discomfort of not knowing. Once securely attached to an answer, the brain resists the trauma of releasing it even when a better answer is presented. I have seen my own brain do this. It’s kind of amazing. 

And it leads to suffering. Because on some level we know that we are floating in an ocean of mystery paddling a leaky raft. Our soul swims lazily alongside, beckoning. “Come on in; the water’s fine.” And we just paddle harder. 

Until we don’t. Until we are so tired of the suffering we cause ourselves, that we are willing to dive into our fear because we are less afraid of the murky depths than of staying where we are.

And guess what. The water is fine. And so are we. 

You know nothing, Jon Snow. ~Ygritte, Game of Thrones

10 comments:

  1. "We just paddle harder. Until we don't."
    Galen, this post spoke so deeply to my heart and soul. As we navigate these difficult times, we want answers, we want to understand deeply what we should do in the face of this, but what we need to do is let go and let God. We can't understand everything, and that is the very beginning of wisdom.
    Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Martha. I love the way you described this not knowing as the beginning of wisdom. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. This post reminds me of this quote - It is true, we do not know what is happening in the deepest sense. And if we can stay with that not knowing, and trust it, and enjoy it, we will be able to experience our life in some fundamentally different way. That’s our miraculous power. - Katherine Thanas. I haven't mastered the "enjoy it" part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this quote, Mona. Thank you for sharing it. Wow, a miraculous power. That is a fascinating way to look at this acceptance of not knowing -- it is powerful! Hmm, that enjoyment part. Do you think that comes with trust that everything will be all right? Or relief that we don't have to figure it all out and control everything? Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. I am trying to breathe this in. It feels out of reach but lovely enough to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's as close as your breath, Linda, so keep breathing. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully conveyed, so utterly true, and what a beautiful picture - I got hooked right in and can feel that mermaid's peace and surrender to not knowing. It's a hard lesson for sure,but a liberating one. It also takes practice and self awareness to help oneself let go of one's attachments.

    I can so relate when you say this:

    ''Because on some level we know that we are floating in an ocean of mystery paddling a leaky raft. Our soul swims lazily alongside, beckoning. “Come on in; the water’s fine.” And we just paddle harder.''

    A lovely post, Galen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynne. I love that photo too. I used it before with a post. It is a hard lesson, which is why life generously gives us so many opportunities to learn it! Ha!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your thoughts on this one. I always find your posts bring a smile and a question as to why you see this and I don't. I guess I just think in simpler terms. I do seek truth and I do find it. We can know the truth of all things at some point with the help of the spirit and when we are ready. I love to study and learn and I do.
    The truth is we do in many ways no nothing because there is so much more to learn and know that we won't accomplish this while in our mortal life.
    I'm rattling on. By the way, I do love your poetry thoughts.
    Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we see things in a very similar way, LeAnn. Perhaps we just verbalize it differently. Truth is simple. We obscure it with complicated words and thoughts. Thanks so much for commenting. You are always welcome to "rattle on." Glad you like the poetry. Hope you and your family are doing well.

      Delete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.