Friday, May 28, 2021

Oh Right, I Knew That



The universe has been giving me plenty of writing material in the joke’s-on-me category. This time it’s about developing a website and working on a new book project. 

For years I have quietly cruised along on my little blog, happy to use Blogger, grateful for all those who have subscribed by email. Then recently Blogger announced that after July they would no longer support the email subscribers on Feedburner. I don’t even know what all that means, but I knew I needed tech help. That led to deciding to have my own website and some other changes, all of which will be happening in the next month or two. (I will give everyone plenty of notice and we will figure out how to ease the transition for all you beloved email subscribers.)

Meanwhile, I have been preparing to publish a new book (more on that later as well), which involves various tasks to appeal (hopefully) to a publisher. 

All of this has taken me way out of my comfort zone, and while I’m excited about these new developments, I have also been resistant and grumpy about having to, no, choosing to, change the way I’ve been doing things, including taking some steps to promote myself and my writing. This definitely does not feel like “the way of no way.” On the contrary, it feels like an unwelcome distraction from my “practice.” Which is what, exactly? Yes, I meditate, and practice martial arts, and write, and facilitate a contemplation group, but what is the point of any of that? (Yes, I know some folks will say there is no point to any of that, and that that is the point.) 

We spent a lot of time in recent months talking in the contemplation group about expanding our “sphere” to include everything that arises within our experience and awareness. Everything. Exclude nothing. And to recognize that when we are struggling, we are out of alignment, we are fighting against reality, we are in conflict with ourselves. We talk about softening the struggle by touching everything with compassion, and releasing our attachment and rejection so that we can live in harmony with the universe. That includes the universe of our choices. 

Busted, right? What is the point of any practice that I engage in or write about if not to integrate body, mind, and soul into the rhythm of creation, to open the heart of compassion to embrace everything, to notice and ease any struggle with reality, to lean into fear rather than try to escape it, to awaken to our true nature and live fully in each precious moment? And if a few of those precious moments involve a little discomfort over learning some new technology and changing the way I do some things, then my practice is to expand my sphere to include this too. This too. 

So I’m having a pretty good laugh at myself. Again. Here I am with my knickers in a knot, struggling over the very things I’ve chosen to do in order to share with others the practice that has so enriched my life by teaching me how not to struggle. Yeah, people are complicated. And funny. 

You are welcome to share a laugh with me. And I hope you will be patient as I wade through these coming transitions. 

It takes more than just awareness for us to change. It takes courage and humility and the willingness to occasionally feel like fools and laugh at ourselves. ~Bud Harris

6 comments:

  1. I'm dreading the upcoming ban of Feedburner, too, Galen. However, I'm determined to figure this situation out one way or another. Great news about your book, too.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are brave, Martha! Good luck to us all. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I'm chuckling because I find my "knickers in a knot" on a regular basis. I also chuckled when I read that you were going to be away from your computer this weekend--good for you! Sending you a big virtual hug and hoping you will find your way as Grace and Truth lead you with your blog, book and through every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I had a good weekend at my cabin in the mountains. And it was good to get away from thinking about all this computer stuff! Grace and Truth -- good guides and companions every day indeed.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to sharing your journey into the future. Life never seems to stand still; dynamic change is welcome. Or should be, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. I'm all for dynamic change unless it involves my phone or computer -- ha! Breathing into the resistance....

      Delete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.