Saturday, December 21, 2019

Light in the Darkness



Darkness darkness, be my pillow 
Take my head and let me sleep
In the coolness of your shadow
In the silence of your dream

Darkness darkness, hide my yearning
For the things that cannot be
Keep my mind from constant turning 
Towards the things I cannot see
     ~Stephen Stills

Today is the first day of winter, the season we associate with darkness. The song lyrics encourage us to rest, to cease our struggle, to accept what is, to enter the mystery.

In the Tao Te Ching, darkness is the metaphor for mystery, the essence of the Way. It is the origin of all creation. The Bible tells us that in the beginning, “the earth was without form, and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep.” From this darkness, God brought forth the manifested universe, beginning with light.

It is within the darkness of this deep mystery that the light begins to return. After today’s winter solstice, the darkest day of the year, the light stays just a minute longer. And then another. We hardly notice its gradual approach as we wake in the darkness, shivering in the cold.

Then one day we notice the early morning sun sparkling on the frost. The light calls creation to awaken once again and we know that spring will come.

But for now, we prepare for the time of quiet, the time of unknowing, the season of stillness. The darkness is the gate to mystery. And it stands open, inviting us in, allowing us to sink deep inside ourselves, to listen...and wait...and watch. Within the darkness, if we are patient, we will see the light of truth, first as a tiny glimmer, then growing into a blazing light, consuming all illusion and doubt.

I said to my soul, be still, and wait.... So the darkness shall be the light, and the stillness the dancing. ~T.S. Eliot

8 comments:

  1. How perfect it seems to me that we celebrate the birth of Christ, the Light of the World, in this season of darkness, where we are in the midst of embracing the mystery, the quiet, the unknowing where we "listen . . and wait . . . and watch." May we all rest in the stillness to become prepared for the coming of the light.
    Blessings, Galen, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful connection, Martha. And Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  2. I love this, Galen, reminding me that as we ponder the darkness, it is the crucible through which new life begins. Thank you for your thoughtful posts this past year. I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, new life begins in darkness. When my last grandchild was born, I thought about how she grew in darkness. The darkness was not scary; on the contrary it was protective and nurturing. Even when we experience it more like a crucible, it is burning away what we no longer need so that what is new and fresh can emerge. I'm grateful to you too. Your life reflections always touch my heart and inspire me.

      Delete
  3. This was beautifully written and I enjoy reading it. I hadn't really looked at darkness in quite that way, but I can see it in a different now. I look to the light and thirst to have more of it in my life.
    May you have a blessed Christmas celebration with your family. May the light and love of the Savior be in your heart,life and home, always my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LeAnn. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

      Delete
  4. 'we prepare for the time of quiet, the time of unknowing, the season of stillness' I like this statement, Galen.

    '... the mystery...the darkness..' points to the source where creation originates. Those who see beyond the veil of flesh, experience what they refer to as the void, a no-thingness, stillness or darkness. From the intellect perspective this is a boring place. (Where are the harps and angels ? ) But, from the spirit view, with insight, this is the source of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Void" -- that is the second time I have heard that term used like this lately. Interesting. And also interesting to see it described through the intellect's perspective as boring. That made me smile!

      Delete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the delay until your comment appears on the blog.